It’s National Poetry Month and I have been writing a poem each day. This one, I decided to share.
It was an honor to MC this panel about Grace and Writing. The panelists came to the “room” with such giving spirits that it made my job easier. What a prolific group of writers. Perhaps you would like to attend the Grace in Writing Conference, an online event via FineLines.org Check it out and please consider joining us.
Check out the video from our panel!
I was reading this article on NPR It’s about the talk that black mothers have with their sons. It came to me while I was working on an announcement – or a fresh announcement about The Talk – which is the name for the anthology of poetry and essays by mothers of color & possibly fathers, too.
As a white woman, I have had talks with my now adult child, but nothing compared to what people of color have to have, MUST have with their children. None of us wants to have our children’s names or adult children’s names associated with a hashtag. What do you think the chances are for this to happen with a person of color vs a white person?
Even with The Talk, there’s still a chance that something could happen, but we are not, as parents, going to let our children into society without caution. The Talk and many other measures has to happen.
What is the talk as a white parent? What is the talk as a parent of color? Just think about that and let it sit for a few moments.
This picture depicts the happiness I want to see for people of color. And I want to hear about The Talk that is had. It keeps those of us who don’t have this experience, mindful. And it keeps us heart-full. How I wish that in this world, we did not have the adversity, the hatred, the assumptions… And I don’t want to hear about how that’s just the way it is. That is not good enough, nor acceptable to me and I hope it is not acceptable to others, but I know. I don’t have blinders on, but I also don’t have dark skin which causes people to scowl, distrust, look the other way, accuse me, to make my name a hashtag.
Are you a person of color? Would you feel comfortable sharing the talk you have had to have with your children? There’s a Call for Submissions for your story, your essays, your poetry… Would you consider sharing Your Talk with others?
Here is the link if your answer is “yes” or if you want more information:
It is with great pleasure that we announce the release of Two Time-International Best-Selling Author Zaneta Varnado Johns latest book of poetry “After the Rainbow: Golden Poems.” A celebration was held on Sunday, February 27 at 4 p.m. EST
If you would like an autographed copy you can purchase on ZanExpressions
It’s TTOT time! Let’s jump to it!
- Deals on graphics programs. I love it when it all just comes together when my budget matches my purchase.
- Sweet Dreams. When I have them, it is a celebration and I sure had sweet dreams a couple nights.
- Seeing sunshine and feeling warmth. Spring can spring anytime it wants.
- Coffee breaks with real people. Using caution, it is now possible. Baby steps.
- Events to come. We have one event coming up to show appreciation, a dedication:
6. The other event to come is the Book Launch for Zaneta Varnado Johns “After the Rainbow: Golden Poems.”
7. I am most grateful for the volunteerism and the devotion for both of these events. When you put the call out there and you get chill bumps from the supporters, well that’s a triple coated ice cream cone with sprinkles and nuts of thankfuls.
8. We had a nice celebration of daughter’s birthday. She always likes those Pepperridge Farms cakes, so that makes it easy. It’s a throwback to her younger years when they were used to celebrate during a very busy life. I think she was pleased with her birthday goodies. She always gets something she wanted for Christmas as we look at those end of year deals for her birthday. She was surprised, however, and that made it even better.
9. Getting through January. It’s a month of highs and lows, mostly lows and I got through it.
10. YOU! It’s good to see you! What’s you thankful? Put them in comments or join us!