It’s the last day for an August posting of Ten Things of Thankful. We have one more day of the month, but we can start posting out thankfuls today. So, let’s get the party started.
In light of a looming hurricane, possibly affecting many people in my zone, and even if not, it affects us all as a world, I am thinking a hurricane focused thankful may be in order.
1. Gratitude for expressions. I wrote a haiku train in devotion to hurricane preps today. Here’s the post In the Storm’s Eye
2. Survival. As North Carolina residents, we have been through some storms, sometimes in the midst of them and other times on the outskirts. I am grateful for survival and pray for those coming into the face of these storms right now. Essential tools for survival: Toilet Paper and Kitty Litter, just saying… Trash bags and Paper Towels. Hand Sanitizer…you get it, right?
3. Batteries. What would we do without these creations? It used to be for having a flashlight. Now it also means we need them for communication. Home phones are usually on a digital line, meaning it all goes in a storm. So, besides batteries for flashlights, we need back up batteries for phones.
4. Snacks. What is it about storms that call for Vienna sausages and all manner of junk foods? I think it has to do with stress and the thoughts that come about “why not have what we want and enjoy them!” For me, personally, I will make sure there are healthy snacks, as I have blood sugars to think about and heart health. If you can have those things that are crunchy and decadent, go for it! Celebrate however it brings your happy!! Note: you don’t need heat for smores…just nibble each ingredient and let your palate do the mixup. P.S. Don’t forget Fido and Kitty!!
5. Clothes and Sleep gear. Gratitude abounds that I have comfy clothing. If you are going to hang out in the house during a storm, be sure and be comfy. No need for high fashion. I will rock my jammies if I can get away with it. We are inland. Those who are at risk of evacuating will want to be sure to be comfortable. Fortunately, you can rock jammies in public places, well for the most part 😉
If you have a rain coat, you might want it, just saying… And shoes. Have spares if you can. Do they still make galoshes? Blankets too and sleeping bags and pillows…
6. Fuel. How I remember those propane tanks and campstoves! We had delicious meals in under an hour 😀 If you have the ability, these are great. Just don’t forget to extra load a tank.
7. Thirst aid. That’s right! You gotta have something to quinch your thirst. If water sources are defunk, you wanna have safe beverages. Water is your bestie. If you want coffee, they do make those bottled up ones as well as other drinks. Alcohol, well it’s recommended to not use this in a storm. It may make it hard to navigate as well as dehydrate. Just saying… ’cause nothing but the LOVE here!!
8. Gas. This is part 2 of Fuel – UP THERE – Make sure the tank is tanked up just in case you need to evacuate. I am loading up tonight.
9. First Aid. Be sure to have a first aid kit of some kind on hand. I am not that well organized, but I have it all pretty much in one place. You just never know and aren’t we fortunate to have bandaids. I am thankful we have them because I stepped on glass yesterday and am thankful I am healing well.
10. Oh no!! I am not done!! Let’s jam it up!! Be sure to keep in touch with your loved ones. Even if you are not in touch all the time, it’s a great time to let them know you are safe or if you need something. It does take a village. And if you are on social media, you can shout it out and even declare yourself safe on Facebook. How awesome is that!! Kisses. I am grateful for kisses and hugs and glad when I know all is well and can kiss and hug in greeting and gratitude. This is why I am sending out a great big MUAH!! KISSSSSSS to all of you!!! I am sure I missed the boat on what else to do to prep, but here we are. Let’s hear what you do to prepare and your gratefuls. You can drop it like it’s hot in the link below!!